WORLD NUTELLA DAY RECIPE
It’s world Nutella day — hooray! We love this hazelnut chocolate spread so much we thought we would celebrate its deliciousness with this Nutella filled chocolate chip cookie recipe. Now it’s February we think it’s okay to have a break from the January detox — right? That’s our excuse anyway… and as we still have another 2 weeks to wait until Shrove Tuesday we thought we might as well start our chocolate spread influx now.
Nutella was first invented in 1948 in Italy by a pastry maker who had a short supply of cocoa following World War Two. He mixed the sparse cocoa with hazelnut paste and moulded it into a loaf shape which could be sliced — ingenious! The Fererro family turned this paste into the hazelnut cream we know as Nutella today (‘ella’ is the Latin suffix for sweet). Now sold in over 150 countries this stuff is so popular that you could circle the world 1.4 times with the amount of Nutella produced in a single year.
What better carrier for this amazing stuff than chocolate chip cookies, it just makes sense. This recipe makes 7 delicious cookies.
- 130g Plain Flour
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 60g Butter at room temperature
- 70g Sugar (we used Golden Caster)
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 50g Chocolate Chips
- Nutella (you will need a teaspoon for each cookie filling)
Preheat your oven to 180 degrees (160 fan)
1. Portion out 7 teaspoons of Nutella onto a sheet of greaseproof paper, put this onto a plate or tray and place in the freezer for 20 minutes to firm up.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until you get a smooth and creamy mixture.
3. Combine the egg and the vanilla extract into the butter and sugar mixture.
4. Add in the baking powder and flour and fold everything together until a dough forms.
5. Mix in the chocolate chips, we just used milk chocolate chips here but put in whatever you want — you could even add some hazelnuts for an extra nutty bite.
6. Divide your dough into 7 portions, it works out to be around 2 tablespoons of dough for each cookie.
7. Flatten the dough into a circle and place a chilled Nutella portion into the centre, form the dough around the Nutella making sure to seal the edges well.
8. Place the cookies onto a well greased baking tray and cook in the middle of the oven for 12–15 minutes until they are lightly golden on the top.
9. Leave to cool slightly but these are great warm when they are super gooey and delicious, especially good with milk!